As a minister I’ve been privileged over the years to be in all kinds of meetings. There are always participators and spectators that attend – believers, skeptics, and at times even mockers, scoffers, and scorners.
I would say that the meetings most people have a difficult time receiving, embracing, and participating in are the Holy Ghost meetings that exude much joy, laughter, dancing, and wild demonstrations. Concerning these type of meetings, I’ve heard the following criticisms from various Christians:
1. We need to reverence God and not carry on with such foolishness.
2. These are fleshly manifestations and emotionalism.
3. This is not scriptural. Show me that in the Word!
4. If it’s God there will be change in the people, but if their lives don’t change then it’s not God.
These types of critical comments are a failure in Christians to understand the multi-faceted nature and personality of God. He is not always serious.
The Holy Ghost has many moods. Sometimes the Father plays with His children and He lets His children play. Irreverence would be to not enter into the mood that the Holy Ghost is manifesting at the moment. Irreverence is to be serious when it’s time to play.
God said He would pour out of His Spirit on all flesh beginning in Acts 2. Often when this happens there are wild manifestations. People are filled with the Holy Ghost and joy, singing, and laughter. People run, dance, and shout. In the presence of the Lord there is fullness of joy (Ps. 16:11).
Have you ever seen a drunk man? How does he act? Often they display some very wild, unusual, and funny behavior, don’t they? It’s the same with being drunk in the Spirit.
“Be not drunk with wine wherein is excess but filled (or be drunk) with the Holy Spirit” (Eph. 5:18).
And yes, people do change and are transformed in God’s presence. But soon they will be sober again, and will need to fill up once more. I’ve seen people healed, delivered, and set free from all kinds of oppression and bondages.
Many Christians only know one side of God or one mood and stream of the Holy Ghost. Denominations and different streams of faith are usually only familiar with their particular brand or stream of how God manifests Himself within their group. And frankly, in many places He is hardly ever allowed to manifest Himself at all.
As I stated, God is multi-faceted in His character and personality, and the Holy Ghost has many moods. We’ve already mentioned the joy and hilarity by which the Lord manifests Himself at times. Here are other moods and atmospheres by which God manifests:
1. The fear of the Lord – This is what happened in Acts 5 when Ananias and Sapphira were struck dead for lying to the Holy Ghost. I’ve been in meetings where the Spirit of the fear of the Lord was in manifestation, and you could hear a pin drop. Everyone was quiet and reverent or on their faces weeping. No one could talk, No one wanted to talk because the atmosphere was so impregnated with a holy fear.
2. The miracle atmosphere – This is when God flexes His muscles and manifests His power to heal all kinds of sicknesses and diseases. People are delivered of various ailments, the lame walk, the blind see, and demons are cast out or they just leave. The people witnessed this in Samaria through the ministry of Philip (Acts 8).
3. The sweetness of the Lord – This is an anointing that touches people deep in their emotions. It manifests in healing for broken hearts and people who are desperate and hurting. It is the Lord moving in His kindness and compassion. We see this continually in the ministry of Jesus.
When the Holy Ghost manifests Himself in these various ways just flow with it and participate. Don’t stand back and criticize it because you don’t understand it or are not familiar with it.
Judge everything by the anointing and the presence of God that is there. Are people being healed and delivered? Are they being filled with the Spirit? Are they being blessed and helped? If so, then rejoice in what the Lord is doing. Thank God He is not boring.
Get acquainted with your Father. Get to know the multi-faceted personality and moods of the Holy Ghost, and the manifold wisdom of God . Receive all the Lord has for you. Go outside your own camp if you have to.
Be glad and rejoice in the goodness of God.